OUR HISTORY:
THE BASH SEED COMPANY

Catalog from 1923

Catalog from 1923

 
 

A LONG TIME AGO…

Solomon Bash (1827–1912) was born in Starke County, Ohio, but moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1848. He married Rebecca Ketterer in 1852, together they had five sons and one daughter. In 1856, Bash and Stewart Eakin formed a grain-dealing business named Bash and Eakin. After the business failed, Bash started his own grain-dealing operation as S. Bash and Company.

The Indianapolis seed store was started in 1906 by one of Bash's sons, Daniel Francis Bash (1858–1943). Bash's Seed Store was located at 141 N. Delaware Street. Daniel Bash was assisted in the store's operations by three of his sons, S. Douglas, Daniel K., and Jerome K. S. Douglas and his wife Pauline opened their own store in 1926. It was located nearby at 201 N. Delaware Street and was called S. D. Bash Seed Boxes. A short time later it relocated at 205 N. Delaware and was named Quality Seed Store. In June 1932, Daniel and Jerome Bash acquired the 141 N. Delaware store from their father. When Daniel Bash died in 1945, ownership was divided between Jerome and another Bash brother, Richard Francis. Pauline Bash acquired and combined the inventory of both stores and closed the Quality Seed Store, keeping Bash's Seed Store. In 1973, the store was moved to 130 N. Delaware, and in 1975 it was sold to William (Bill) Merrill and Patty Evard who formed the 130 N. Delaware Corporation. Bash Seeds ceased operation in 1995. And in 2018, Bill and Patty sold the store to Leah V. Flanagan who re-branded it The Forest Flower which takes us to today.